Thursday, June 20, 2013

Social Networking Sites

So its been ages since i logged into MySpace, i couldn't even remember my password! I actually thought my account was closed. The last time i was highly engaged in MySpace was during my high school days. Back then (way before Facebook) MySpace was the bomb! But before that it was Sconex, who remebers this site? Lol. With MySpace I used to have all these cool background pictures, different layouts and colors in my profile and had the best feature, my "top friends" haha. I was also able to listen to music and connect with with friends and family. Today, MySpace looks more modern in terms of how the profile is laid out, also MySpace has shifted its purpose of connecting with friends to interacting with the public. For instance, they highly focus on music; giving people the opportunity to follow their favorite musical artists.

Now Facebook is a whole different level. Facebook enables me to connect with my friends and family (mainly with those back home in Colombia). It also has many features such as uploading photos, a status, a check-in option (for pretty much every place), a like option and tag a friend (for pictures, comments, status, check-in), you can also chat through Facebook as well as send messages privately or do video calls. With Facebook you can create events or pages so other people can like or join them. It also gives you notifications of peoples' birthdays and updates and allows you to play games. I really enjoy FB because it entertains me and allows me to stay in touch with close friends in other parts of the world. I remember when i was in high school and FB was only for college students and you needed to provide a college email in order to register an account. What people did not expect was the Facebook was going to take over, becoming the most popular social networking website in the world.

Another social site that i like to use is Linkedin. This one is a more different than FB & MySpace. Linkedin allows people connect for business purposes. With this site i am able to expand my professional network, gain letters of recommendation from previous employers or colleagues. Linkedin also helps me put my name out there for future job openings. I am able to post or create my resume (which can later be viewed by potential recruiters) or i can endorse and be endorsed by people for my areas of expertise. I see Linkedin as FB for serious and grown up people.

The last website i logged into was Twitter (not my fave). Twitter to me is like the FB status section. This websites allows people to engage in real-time sharing, it only allows you to post something up to 140 characters. With Twitter you can share or link photos, videos, interesting news, and follow other people. The reason i might dislike Twitter is that i find this site complicated to use. In comparison to the other social sites i see Twitter as not a user-friendly site and i also find it a bit boring. Perhaps because the other sites provide me with more features i enjoy them more. I enjoy Instagram better than Twitter (which to me is almost the same concept except you are posting pictures).    

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I totally forgot about Sconex! It was definitely one of the more popular (and probably first) social networking sites back then along with Myspace. I do feel that Facebook had tried to incorporate all the past social networking sites together to be able to form what it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not remember any password or log in for my Myspace. Its so crazy how we can use something everyday, just like you said, MySpace was the bomb, and now we wouldn't even think about signing into it. Media is forever changing, but I feel like FaceBook is here to stay because they will continue to find new innovations, unlike MySpace.

    ReplyDelete